.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
Popular Post

Magically Delicious?

These days you can't tread too lightly when it comes to cakey depictions of holiday icons. After all, many of these age-old characters perpetuate negative stereotypes of entire people groups, and therefore risk offending said group and others.

Take, for example, leprechauns.

When I say the word "leprechaun", what comes to mind? No, wait, don't tell me. Let me guess: a short, red-haired, pasty-white man with an out-dated fashion sense, penchant for pranks, and a mentally unstable obsession with the acquisition of wealth (particularly in the form of gold).

I'm right, aren't I? Yeah, that's what I thought. [shaking head] You should be ashamed of yourself, you...you... perpetuator of negative stereotypes, you!

Fortunately, bakeries are fighting back:

See? Much better.

Not only is this multi-cultural leprechaun a conglomeration of all earthly ethnicities, he's also part alien, as evidenced by those ear-knob antennae. You can never be too non-offensive, after all, and we wouldn't want any extraterrestrials feeling discriminated against.

It's also important we fight against the "happy leprechaun" cliche. People need to realize that leprechauns have feelings, too, and sometimes those feelings aren't all shamrocks and rainbows, mmkay?

They've got layers, I tell you, layers. Like an onion. Or, I dunno...a...cake. Yeah. So maybe it's time we considered their feelings for once, hmm?


Michelle P. & Callie H., I'm totally itching for some Lucky Charms right now. Don't tell anybody.